Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Fire Marshal: Smoking Caused Blaze At Norwalk Nursing Home

The Norwalk Fire Department has reportedly determined Sunday night's nursing home fire was caused by smoking, according to a Connecticut News 12 report. Photo Credit: File
The three-story structure fire at the Carlson Place at 17 Nelson Ave left two dozen people out in the cold while firefighters put it out. Photo Credit: Google Maps

NORWALK, Conn. -- A bedroom smoker caused the fire at an assisted living facility in Norwalk Sunday evening, the Norwalk Fire Marshal told News 12 Connecticut.

About two-dozen people were forced out into the cold after a fire broke out there late Sunday evening, according to Norwalk Deputy Fire Chief Todd Smith.

They stood outside while firefighters battled the blaze in the three-story structure at the Carlson Place at 17 Nelson Ave., Smith said. And they were unable to return to their homes late Sunday, he said.

The small fire in a bedroom was reported at about 7:30 p.m. "It was extinguished quickly," Smith said.

Smoke throughout the structure caused it to be posted unfit for occupancy, he said. About 26 residents had to be relocated to a local hotel for at least one night, according to Smith.

One resident was taken out of the house and transported to Norwalk Hospital for smoke inhalation concerns, he said. "We found her in our search of the building. She was brought out and transported," Smith said.

Click here to read the News 12 Connecticut story.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.