After nearing four years, a man wanted for repeatedly sexually abusing a child has been caught and extradited to Norwalk.
The story of the long hunt for Antonio Lazaro Torres-Rodriguez began on Dec. 22, 2014, when the Norwalk Police Department received information that he had been sexually abusing a child in Norwalk over a prolonged period of time, said Sgt. Sofia Gulino.
An investigation was quickly initiated, revealing that a second juvenile victim was involved. The assigned investigator, Detective Tim Marquis of the Special Victims Unit, secured an arrest warrant for Torres-Rodriguez.
While attempting to take Torres-Rodriguez into custody, police learned he had left the area and was on the run. He was tracked across multiple states, eventually eluding law enforcement, Gulino said.
On March 12, 2018, Torres-Rodriguez was arrested in Orlando, for driving under the influence. Despite having provided a false name to Orlando authorities, Torres-Rodriguez’s fingerprints revealed his true identity as well as the fact that he had an active arrest warrant stemming from the Norwalk incident. Orlando authorities contacted Norwalk Police, Gulino said.
On May 8, Marquis and Orr traveled to Orlando, took Torres-Rodriguez into custody, and transported him back to Norwalk without incident.
He has been charged with two counts of first-degree sexual assault, the risk of injury to a minor and intentional cruelty.
During his hearing on Wednesday, Judge Alex Hernandez said Torres-Rodriguez “poses a danger to the community” and ordered his bond to remain at $1 million.
He is scheduled to appear in court again on May 25.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.