FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Fans across Fairfield County and beyond cheered Saturday night as the University of Connecticut men's basketball team defeated top-ranked Florida in the NCAA semifinal game, 65-53.
UConn, which is the first No. 7 seed to reach the final, will play either Kentucky or Wisconsin for the national championship at 9:20 p.m. Monday. The games are being played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
The Huskies have won national titles in basketball in 1999, 2004 and 2011.
Read more about the game here in the Hartford Courant.
Gov. Dannel Malloy has proclaimed this as “Husky Weekend” in the State of Connecticut in honor of both the UConn men’s and women’s basketball teams playing in the NCAA Final Four tournament.
“UConn again is the only school in the nation to have both our men’s and women’s basketball teams reach the NCAA Final Four, and for that we are incredibly proud,” Malloy said. “This weekend, I urge Connecticut residents to put on your blue and white and show the nation how excited we are for our hometown teams.”
The governor said he would extend “Husky Weekend” through Tuesday if either team – and hopefully both – make it to the championship.
The UConn women's basketball team plays the Stanford Cardinal on Sunday evening in the semifinals.
- 1 Norwalk School Superintendent Plans To Leave For New London Job
- 2 Norwalk School Superintendent Sets Jan. 31 As Last Day On The Job
- 3 Norwalk Police Assist With Prostitution Arrests At Wilton Spa
- 4 Norwalk Firefighters Quickly Extinguish Burning Home; 11 People Displaced
- 5 Norwalk High Band Marches To Title In National Contest