WESTPORT, Conn. – A popular Spinning fundraiser for breast cancer research held by the American Cancer Society will switch venues from Norwalk to Westport this spring.
SpinOdyssey 2013 will be held outdoors under a tent on May 5 at the town-owned commuter parking lot on Imperial Avenue in Westport. The site is also the home of the Westport Farmers Market. The event had previously been held at the Intensity Tennis and Fitness Club in Norwalk in March. Registration is now open.
Last year’s event raised more than $311,000, and has raised more than $4 million in 13 years. It funds breast cancer research and patient and family support services. Last year’s proceeds went to researchers Dr. Aaron Goldman at Harvard Medical School and Dr. Chris Twitty at the Providence Cancer Center of Oregon.
SpinOdyssey is a volunteer effort of breast cancer survivors, indoor cycling and fitness instructors and students, and families. Participants ride exercise bikes and receive pledges from donors. Tennis, Zumba and other fitness-related activities are also part of the event.
The organization received the Sandra C. Labaree Volunteer Values Award from the American Cancer Society. The award honors volunteers whose actions and service most exemplify the society’s organizational value.
Riders can register online. For information on sponsorship, contact co-chairman Patty Kondub at 203-362-5231.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Norwalk, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow
- 3 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 4 Norwalk Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 5 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Norwalk; Blizzard Warning Issued