NORWALK, Conn. – Former Norwalk High baseball star Matt Iannazzo has signed to pitch this summer with the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League.
Iannazzo pitched for the past year years in the minor leagues with the Chicago Cubs. The lefthander was also a standout at the University of Pittsburgh.
“We’re excited to bring a local product like Matt on board for this season,” Bluefish manager Willie Upshaw said on the team website. “He was very impressive during a recent workout for us and we think he can succeed in this league.”
Iannazzo pitched for the Boise Hawks and Kane County Cougars last year. Both teams are Single A affiliates of the Cubs. He went 2-2 with a 3.38 ERA in 31 relief appearances. He had 35 strikeouts and pitched 41 2/3 innings.
Iannazzo was signed as a free agent by the Cubs in 2012 after a standout career at Pitt, where he set the school record for victories.
- 1 Norwalk Man Charged In Assault On Store Clerk, Spitting At Police
- 2 Elderly Woman Mauled By Dog Dies At Bridgeport Hospital
- 3 Driver Of Norwalk Transit Bus Ticketed After Crash On MLK Drive
- 4 Norwalk School Superintendent Plans To Leave For New London Job
- 5 Bridgeport National Guard Member Killed By Unsafe Lane Change, Police Say