NORWALK, Conn. -- The Norwalk River Rowing's youth teams won seven medals at the Cooper Cup regatta on Sunday, April 27.
The regatta featured 52 clubs competing on the Cooper River in Camden, N.J.
Norwalk River won four medals in championship events: two gold medals in the men's varsity lightweight double and men’s varsity four plus coxswain (which won by 11.7 seconds), a silver in the men’s lightweight four plus coxswain and a bronze in the men’s varsity double.
Norwalk River also won gold medals in the women’s novice four plus coxswain, men’s JV single and the men’s JV four plus coxswain, which won by 1 minute and 10 seconds. Three Norwalk residents contributed to the medal count: Chris Martensson took a gold in the men’s JV four plus coxswain; Victoria Markow took another gold in the women’s novice four plus coxswain; and Brian Helms took a bronze in the men’s varsity double.
The club’s next regatta is U.S. Rowing’s Northeast District Junior Rowing Championships in Lowell Mass. That regatta is a qualifying race for the youth national championships in June. Last year the club sent eight boats to the national championships, the most boats of any club in New England.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Norwalk Skies Sunday
- 2 Norwalk Will See Temperature Plunge On Sunday
- 3 Muse Paintbar Adds Unique Alternative To Norwalk Nightlife
- 4 Madelene Lovullo Horgan, 56, Of Norwalk, Senior VP, The Nine West Company
- 5 Stamford Woman Dies After Being Hit By SUV On Hope Street