WESTPORT, Conn. – Sean Obi, a former star at Greens Farms Academy in Westport and a resident of Greenwich, will transfer to play basketball at Duke University, according to numerous reports.
Obi is transferring from Rice University in Texas after one season. Rice basketball coach Ben Braun resigned after the Owls went 7-23 last season. Obi will sit out one year and will have three seasons of eligibility at Duke.
Obi made the announcement on Instagram. “Happy to officially announce that I will be attending Duke University for the rest of my college basketball career,’’ Obi wrote. “Very thankful for all the support and love from my family and friends all over, and also to every college coach that have called and been in involved with me through out this process. Duke it is!!"
Obi averaged 11.4 points and 9.3 rebounds for Rice. He led Conference USA in rebounding.
He graduated from Greens Farms Academy last year after leading the team to the New England Prep School championship. He scored 1,299 points at GFA, the second-highest total in school history. He also owns school records in career and season rebounds and shooting percentage.
- 1 Survey Reveals What Cars Get Most Traffic Tickets
- 2 Malloy's Sandy Hook Advisory Panel Calls For Homeschooling Oversight
- 3 18-Year-Old Shot In The Leg On Suncrest Road In Norwalk
- 4 Police: Norwalk Teen Posted Harassing Photos Of Teacher On App
- 5 Metro-North Still Plans On Moving New Haven Line To Penn Station