FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Norwalk native Cameron Wilson, the NCAA individual golf champion was named the 2014 Sports Persons of the Year in his hometown, the Fairfield County Sports Commission announced.
The commission named its 2014 Sports Persons of the Year in each of the 15 communities it directly serves.
Wilson, a graduate of St. Luke's School in New Canaan, joined elite company when he became the first Stanford University student since Tiger Woods to win the NCAA Division I men's golf individual championship in spring.
He is just the third golfer in Stanford University history to win the individual title.
The local sports honorees will be recognized at the 10th anniversary Sports Night awards dinner, Monday, Oct. 20 at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich at 6 pm.
In addition, the Commission is establishing an annual Sports Person of the Year for Newtown as part of its recent working alliance with the Newtown Youth Academy Sports and Fitness Center. Each year going forward Newtown will be included in the recognition of the sports persons in each community in an effort to support the town and its youth following the shooting tragedy at Sandy Hook . This year's winner is Maura Fletcher, who led the Newtown High girls' lacrosse team to 10 straight SWC titles before retiring in June. Fletcher was named the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Coach of the Year for girls' lacrosse.
In each of the 15 communities, a committee headed by a local town representative of the Commission, selected a Sports Person of the Year. Each winner was deemed to have had the most positive impact in their sports community from Aug. 2013-Aug. 2014.
The Sports Persons of the Year are:
- BRIDGEPORT- Central High boys' basketball team, Class LL state champions
- DARIEN- Alex Ostberg, Darien High runner, National 5,000-meter champion
- EASTON- Chris Thomas, National Men's Masters Tri-athlete of the Year
- FAIRFIELD- Christian Alvarado, Fairfield Prep runner, National 1-mile champion
- GREENWICH- Austin Longi, Greenwich High football and track & field standout
- MONROE- Tatum Buckley, Masuk High softball pitcher, Gatorade State Player of Year
- NEW CANAAN- Max Pacioretty, U.S. Olympic hockey player, NHL standout
- NEWTOWN-Maura Fletcher, Newtown High girls' lacrosse, state coach of year
- NORWALK- Cameron Wilson, NCAA individual golf champion
- SHELTON- Division 10 Shelton Vikings cheer team, national champions
- STAMFORD- Stamford Stars 12U softball team, New England champions
- STRATFORD- Stratford Brakettes, undefeated national champion softball team
- TRUMBULL- St. Joseph High boys' lacrosse team, Class S state champions
- WESTON- Michael Carter, Weston Stadium Lights Committee/Weston Sports Commission
- WESTPORT- Hannah DeBalsi, Staples High runner, National 2-mile champion
- WILTON- Noah Farrell, Wilton High tennis player, 4-time Class L state champion
The Fairfield County Sports Commission is a 501c3 non-profit organization that is the one-stop resource for the sports community in the area, with a mission of promoting fitness and personal development through sports. The commission, with the exception of the executive director, is an all-volunteer group that gives financial support and its resources back to its communities, primarily focused on the 110,000 school age youngsters it can reach with its fitness awareness education programs under its Chelsea Cohen Fitness Academy.
For more information concerning tickets and sponsorship opportunities for Sports Night, visit www.fairfieldcountysports.com or call 203-251-8481.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 3 Charged In Connection With Sale Of Cocaine At Norwalk Nightclub
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 Former Fairfield University Basketball Player ID'd In Fatal Shooting
- 5 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital