Superintendent Susan Marks and the district's central office are ready to address important school topics like the calendar, staff evaluation and out-of-district assignment policies. At the Tuesday night Board of Education meeting, Marks announced that she is organizing workgroups in 16 areas (see list below). The purpose of these groups is to improve processes and bring about more consistency, she said. They will be cross-functional with representatives from the unions and parent groups. Theyll have specific deliverables. Marks expects to form the teams by the end of the month.
Marks, herself, will be in charge of the school calendar group and the district survey group. She insists the groups must have specific time frames. For example, she expects that the middle school code of conduct should be completed in a couple of months. Marks intends to distribute a survey to the school community in the spring and expects a high school schedule to be ready for next fall. Some things like high school reform will take more time, says Marks. High school reform initiatives were passed into law in May.
Marks is working with Lisa Lenskold, the new PTO Council president , to find parent participants. "We want people who don't have a single agenda, but can look at district wide issues." The workgroups include:
1. Out of District Assignment Policy: Carol Marinaccio, Director of Elementary Education
2. Magnet Programs Lottery Process: Carol Marinaccio
3. Elementary School Walkthrough Protocol and Consistent Expectations: Carol Marinaccio
4. After school Programs: Carol Marinaccio
5. Kindergarten Screening and Orientation: Karen Helyer
6. High School Reform: Tony Daddona, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction
7. High School Schedule: Tony Daddona
8. Middle School Code of Conduct: Tony Daddona
9. High School Code of Conduct: Tony Daddona
10. School Calendar: Susan Marks, Superintendent and Bob Polselli, Director of IT
11. Academically Talented Identification Process: Diane Filardo, Instruction Specialist of Data and Testing and Joan Glass, Instructional Specialist of the Academically Talented Program
12. Emergency Response Plan and Procedures: Dan Cook, Interim Director of Finance and Mark Gorian, Director of Facilities
13. Parent, Staff and Student District Survey: Susan Marks/Bob Polselli
14. Teacher Evaluation Workgroup (Stakeholders already identified): Fay Ruotolo, Director of Human Resources
15. Administrators Evaluation Workgroup: Fay Ruotolo
16. Update Diversity Employment Plan (Some members have already been identified from previous workgroup)
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.