NORWALK, Conn. – The much-feared "deep cuts" in Norwalk's school budget got the go-ahead Thursday evening in a nearly unanimous vote of the Norwalk Board of Education.
Superintendent Susan Marks' latest revision of the 2012-13 budget received a yes vote from each member in attendance at the special meeting in Concert Hall except for Steven Colarossi, who had presented his own budget. Artie Kassimis and Migdalia Rivas were not present.
Although board members agreed the "deep cuts" are painful, they voiced hope that some might be reversed. Mayor Richard Moccia is in talks with the Board of Estimate and Taxation, and there are ongoing talks with the Norwalk Federation of Teachers, according to board member Mike Lyons. Moccia said the state delegation is trying to expedite Medicaid payments to Norwalk, a reference to the special education portion of the budget.
Marks said that if there is additional revenue, her priority would be to send the resources to the elementary schools.
The brevity of the meeting – just more than an hour – drew scorn from one observer, who said it had been a done deal before the meeting was brought to order.
The passed budget is similar to previous versions, with minor revisions.
More details will be forthcoming from The Norwalk Daily Voice.