FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – U.S. Rep. Jim Himes of Fairfield County met with 12 students from across his Fourth District on Thursday whom he had successfully nominated to attend U.S. military service academies this fall.
Students and their families joined Himes, a Democrat, for dinner at the Westport Veterans of Foreign Wars headquarters, where they met and networked with peers and local veterans.
“I am proud to nominate my district’s best and brightest young men and women to our nation’s service academies each year,” Himes said in a statement. “I hosted this dinner to honor their accomplishment and thank them for their commitment to serve our country.”
The 12 students have been accepted into the Naval Academy, West Point, Air Force Academy or Merchant Marine Academy. Himes selected the nominees based on the recommendations of his Academy Nomination Panel, with former academy graduates and community leaders as well as former and current members of the U.S. armed services.
Here are the students Himes nominated, their hometowns and as the academies they will soon be attending:
• Patrick William Corona of Fairfield - Air Force Academy
• Christopher Sean Madaffari of Norwalk - Air Force Academy
• Timothy Patrick Cottell of Monroe - Merchant Marine Academy
• John Anthony Sabbagh II of Westport - Merchant Marine Academy
• Stephen Hazlehurst Da Cruz of Ridgefield - Naval Academy
• Ansong Samuel Omari of Bridgeport - Naval Academy
• Thomas Wilcock of Darien - Naval Academy
• Susan Eileen Wissmann of Greenwich - Naval Academy
• Jane Carol Wissman of Greenwich - Naval Academy
• Julian Callanan Barker of Greenwich - West Point
• Max Bosselaar of Stamford - West Point
• Josh Roberts of Southport - West Point
- 1 Rain, Snow Threaten Norwalk On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 2 Norwalk Could See 4 To 8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 3 Malloy: Avoid Travel Wednesday Due To Storm
- 4 Woman’s Death After Being Struck By Metro-North Tops Norwalk Week’s News
- 5 Juvenile Who Lives In Europe Arrested In Norwalk SWATing Incident