GREENWICH, Conn. -- Several Fairfield County students have been named Presidential Scholar candidates.
More than 20 Fairfield County students were named candidates from nearly 3.4 million students expected to graduate from U.S. high schools this year.
"Inclusion in the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program, now in its 50th year, is one of the highest honors bestowed upon graduating high school seniors," said a press release. "Scholars are selected on the basis of superior academic and artistic achievements, leadership qualities, strong character and involvement in community and school activities."
More than 3,000 candidates were selected for exceptional performance on either the College Board SAT or the ACT Assessment. In addition, each Chief State School Officer received an invitation to nominate three male and three female candidates, based on their outstanding scholarship, residing in their jurisdiction. A distinguished panel of educators will review these submissions and select 560 semifinalists in early April.
The Commission on Presidential Scholars, a group of up to 32 eminent citizens appointed by the president, will make final selection of the scholars. They will select one young man and one young woman from each state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and U.S. students living abroad; 15 students at-large; and up to 20 students from the creative and performing arts. The U.S. Department of Education will announce the Scholars in May.
The following is a list of candidates from Fairfield County:
- Darien - Catherine S. Lacy, Darien High School
- Darien - Blake Lange, Darien High School
- Darien - Cameron J. Van De Graaf, Darien High School
- Fairfield - Mark R. Whittaker, Greens Farms Academy
- Greenwich - Zachry M. Bai, Greenwich High School
- Greenwich - Danielle O. Connolly, Greenwich High School
- Greenwich - Elisa Martinez, Greenwich High School
- Greenwich - Jacqueline Bein, Greenwich High School
- Norwalk - Zachary T. Marron, home school
- Ridgefield - Nicholas G. Esemplare, Ridgefield High School
- Ridgefield - Ryan Konopka, Ridgefield High School
- Stamford - Sophia E, Lawrenceville School
- Stamford - Ashim Vaish, Brunswick School
- Weston - Matthew W. Ielusic, Weston High School
- Weston - Trammell J. Saltzgaber, Weston High School
- Weston - Griffin O. Shoglow-Rubenst, Hopkins School
- Westport - Eric H. Dexheimer, Greens Farms Academy
- Westport - Charles C. Jersey, Staples High School
- Wilton - Sarah C. Healy, Wilton High School
- Wilton - Kimberly M. Holmgren, Wilton High School
- Wilton - Kurt B. Rubin, Wilton High School
- Wilton - Kathleen T. Smith, Wilton High School
For more information about the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program, parents and students can call the U.S. Presidential Scholars Office at 319/688-4345 or send an e-mail to PSP@act.org.