This is the fourth article in a series on fixing up your home to sell quickly. Last week we focused on kitchens . This week, lets look at your homes bathrooms. After the kitchen, bathrooms are high on the list of "wow factors" that can help sell a house fast.
Here are a few quick and easy cosmetic fixes you can do to make your bathroom appealing to buyers.
* The toilet. If youre a fan of fluffy seat covers and those little mats that wrap around the base of the W.C., you might be surprised to learn that most people dont like them. Toss them ASAP. And if your toilet seat looks worn, get a new one. Theyre dirt cheap, and a new seat will make a good impression.
* If you store your plunger next to the toilet, put it somewhere else. Anyone seeing a plunger in the bathroom might assume you have a plumbing problem. And while youre at it, buy a new toilet brush.
* Does your tub/shower look like the product shelf at a hair salon? Take all those bottles and park them somewhere else. Buyers want to see an uncluttered and clean tub area, just like a hotel bathroom. Remove the wire rack hanging from the shower head and hide the loofahs.
* The sink area needs to be cleared of all personal items. That means no toothbrushes, nail clippers, hairbrushes or curling irons. Again, think hotel bathroom. Buyers prefer a clean and sterile space. Buy a bar of fragrant soap and put it in a pretty dish. Thats all you need near the sink.
* Towels should be neatly folded on the towel rail, which means no soggy towels hanging from hooks or thrown over the shower door. If your towels are even slightly ratty-looking, buy new ones. And if the rack is coming off the wall, fix it.
* Put up a new shower curtain.
* Store bath mats neatly on a towel rack, or stash in a closet.
* Closets should be tidied. Make sure to leave some empty shelf space. When people see overflowing closets they think storage is limited.
Last but not least, make sure your bathroom is squeaky clean. Polish the faucets, shine the mirror. Use an old toothbrush to clean nooks and crannies. And make sure there are no unpleasant odors emanating from the bathroom, or anywhere else, for that matter.
If youre not sure what to do with your bathroom, email me a photo and Ill give you some suggestions. firstname.lastname@example.org . Next week well look beyond the cosmetic and explore other solutions to give your bathroom an edge.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.