This is the fifth in a series of articles on getting your home ready for sale. January, February and March are the busiest months in the real estate calendar. If youre thinking of selling in 2011, now is the time to get your house in tiptop shape.
Last week I gave you tips on how to make your bathrooms look presentable. But what if your bathroom needs more than new towels and a good clean? Here are some things you can do. Youll have to spend some money but remember, todays buyer is looking for a home in move-in condition.
* If your toilet is old and stained, buy a new one. You can get a decent toilet for less than $200.
* Think about changing the faucets at the sink and in your shower. Gleaming new faucets will tell potential buyers youve taken good care of your home.
* While youre at it, get a new low-flow showerhead.
* Do you have Formica tops on your vanity? You can often get a deal on vanity-size marble or granite remnants at your local stone company. With a new undermount sink and a new faucet, you might even change your mind about moving.
* If your tub is scratched and stained, have it refinished.
* How about the tiles in the tub or shower? Will scrubbing the grout with special grout cleaner do the trick? If your tiles look particularly bad you could think about retiling. Thats a big job, so ask your real estate agent whether he/she thinks its worth the trouble.
Would you be willing to re-do your bathroom in order to sell your home? Id love to know. You can leave me a comment below, or email me at email@example.com.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.