Are you thinking of selling your home or is your house already on the market? This can be a time of uncertainty, anxiety and emotion. A less-than-stellar market doesnt help. How do you let go of a home that creates security and has so many memories?
The answer is in your attitude. It's not about letting go - its about looking forward. Try these steps to help turn your mixed feelings about selling your home into positive energy.
1. Be decisive. Allowing yourself to vacillate between "should I?" and "shouldnt I?" will promote uncertainty. Write a list of pros and cons. Do whatever it takes for you to get to the point of saying, This is my Final Answer.
2. Remember that memories are not part of the house. They live in your mind. Memories last a lifetime and go with you wherever you are. Take lots of photos or video of the house before you leave to help keep the memories alive.
3. Talk about your decision. Suppressing those emotions can make mountains out of molehills. If you feel anxious, talk with a family member, friend or your Realtor. It helps to have a sounding board. And talk about ideas to help you regain that positive attitude.
4. Know up front that you will need to be willing to compromise. Current market conditions are tough on sellers. With more competition, sellers need to be flexible. Being willing to lower the price, help pay buyer closing costs, even move sooner or later than anticipated will help the process go more smoothly and ease stress levels.
5. Refocus your attention on moving forward and getting to a new phase in your life, which is how you came to the decision to sell your home in the first place. Get excited about new opportunities ahead!
Source: Realty Times Real Estate Update: November 2011
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.