NORWALK, Conn. -- The League of Women Voters of Norwalk sent out a brief questionnaire to all Norwalk candidates running in the Aug. 12 primary election.
The following are the responses of Republican Registrar of Voters candidate, Karen Doyle Lyons. Lyons, the incumbent, is challenging John Federici, who is the party-endorsed candidate. Read his responses here on the Daily Voice.
Why did you decide to run for registrar of voters, as opposed to some other office?
In the primary on Aug. 12, I am seeking to be re-elected as Republican Registrar of Voters.
I am presently the Republican registrar of voters/election administration for the City of Norwalk. I have held this position for almost 14 years. While I have served other elected positions, serving as the registrar is a passion, a vocation.
Considering your education, employment experience, political involvement and personal attributes, what qualifications do you have to be a good registrar?
I have proudly held many elected positions:
- Norwalk Common Council
- Two Terms (four years)
- Finance Committee Chairman
- Planning Committee
- Health, Welfare & Public Safety
- Maritime Aquarium Authority, Vice-Chairman
- First Taxing District Water Department, Treasurer, Two Terms (four years)
- Registrar of Voters City of Norwalk, Seven Terms (14 years – 2001-2015)
Political Activities: Present:
• Appointed by the Secretary of the State to train chief polling site moderators (only two certified trainers in the state)
Political Activities: Past
- U.S. Senate, Special Assistant Fairfield County
- State of Connecticut General Assembly, Human Rights & Opportunities Committee, Clerk
- Fairfield County Registrar of Voters Association, Chairman (10 years)
- Registrar of Voters Association of Connecticut, Board Member
- District A Republican Town Committee, Secretary
- District D Republican Town Committee, Vice Chairperson and Secretary
- Republican Deputy Registrar of Voters (four years)
- Republican Assistant Registrar (more than six years)
- Official polling site positions: Moderator, Checker, Machine Tender, Assistant Registrar
- Young Republican Club, Vice Chairperson and Secretary
- Republican Women’s Club of Norwalk, Board Member
- Republican Women’s Club of Westport
Community Activities: Present
- Veterans Hall of Honor, Creator and Administrator
- Norwalk Veterans Memorial Committee, Secretary
o Memorial Day Parade, Master of Ceremonies
o Veterans Day Ceremony
o Shea-Magrath Memorial Ceremony
- American Legion Post #12, Ladies Auxiliary
Community Activities: Former:
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #399, Board Member
- Elder house, Board Member
- Broad River Homes, Board Member
- Broad River Association, Member
- St. Mary Church Guild, Concert Committee
- Norwalk 350th Anniversary Parade Committee, Secretary
- Norwalk Cities and Schools
- Mayor’s Annual Ball Committee
- Brien McMahon High School Activities
- Norwalk High School Activities
- Evening Women’s Club, Heart Ball Chairperson 1979 & 2007
- Puerto Rican Day Parade
- Among others
- Congressman Christopher Shays, Washington D.C. 1987
- Norwalk’s 350th Anniversary Committee, Common Council 2001
- Elderhouse 2001
- Norwalk Chamber of Commerce, 350th Parade 2001
- Norwalk Chamber of Commerce, Norwalk Top 100 People 2004
- ROVAC, Achievement Award 2006
- State of Connecticut Recognition Award 2007
- The Hour Citizen Award 2008
- Marine Corps League, Certificate of Appreciation 2008
- Norwalk Veterans Memorial Committee, Certificate of Appreciation 2013
- Among others
I was born on Jan. 15, 1945 in Greenwich Conn.
As a member of an Air Force family, I was educated throughout the United States and France. I went to high school at El Rancho High, Las Vegas, Nev.; Brien McMahon High, Norwalk, Conn.; Norwalk Community College, Norwalk, Conn.
If you are elected, what will be your three top priorities and why?
Continue to serve all voters regardless of party affiliation
Continue to administer smooth and trouble-free elections and primaries
Continue to follow Federal and Connecticut Election Laws (CGS Section 9)
I respectfully ask for your vote on Aug. 12. Thank you most of all for voting. Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 3 Charged In Connection With Sale Of Cocaine At Norwalk Nightclub
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 5 Man Charged With Possession Of Marijuana, Heroin, Acid In Norwalk