FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- John McKinney has a lot of friends in Fairfield County, but unfortunately for the state Senator from Fairfield that didn't translate to the rest of the state when it came to the Republican primary for governor.
McKinney topped Tom Foley in votes in Fairfield County, but lost elsewhere in the state to the Greenwich multimillionaire.
Statewide, Foley outpolled McKinney 44,135 to 37,345, according to the numbers from the secretary of the state's office. McKinney hammered Foley in Fairfield County, taking 13,303 votes compared to Foley's 9,724. However, Foley easily outdistanced him in the state's other seven counties to win the primary.
Here are the vote totals from the towns and cities, with the winner in bold:
- Danbury: 509 votes for McKinney, 586 votes for Foley
- Darien: 423 votes for McKinney, 428 votes for Foley
- Easton: 209 votes for McKinney, 105 votes for Foley
- Fairfeld: 1,926 votes for McKinney, 591 votes for Foley
- Greenwich: 715 votes for McKinney, 1,217 votes for Foley
- New Canaan: 327 votes for McKinney, 465 votes for Foley
- Norwalk: 798 votes for McKinney, 770 votes for Foley
- Redding: 140 votes for McKinney, 174 votes for Foley
- Ridgefield: 272 votes for McKinney, 336 votes for Foley
- Stamford: 1,007 votes for McKinney, 1,165 votes for Foley
- Weston: 164 votes for McKinney, 145 votes for Foley
- Westport: 572 votes for McKinney, 285 votes for Foley
- Wilton: 2,303 votes for McKinney, 219 votes for Foley
Foley's next challenge is to defeat Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy in November's general election.
It was a tight race statewide for the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor. Winner Heather Somers, the former Groton mayor, collected 34.5 percent of the more than 78,000 ballots cast statewide, compared with Penny Bacchiochi's 33.6 percent. David Walker was a close third with 31.9 percent of the votes cast.
Statewide, GOP comptroller candidate Sharon McLaughlin crushed Angel Cadena, 53,277 to 17,187.
All vote totals are supplied by the secretary of the state's office.
- 1 Norwalk's Setti Christmas Village Wrapping Up After 26 Years
- 2 Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk Area Ranked Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Norwalk
- 4 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Cut From McDonald's Menu In Norwalk
- 5 Four Men Breaking Into Car Charged With Trespassing In Norwalk, Police Say