Settings

Home Site
Notification
Push Notifications
Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Menu

Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Suspect In Norwalk Shooting Gets $1M Bond

NORWALK, Conn. – An insulting refusal to a sexual advance led to the May shooting death of a Norwalk man in South Norwalk, Norwalk Police say. The man accused of pulling the trigger appeared in Norwalk Superior Court Tuesday afternoon after being extradited from New York, and was held on $1 million bond.

Police say Pernell McBride, 49, of 93 Suncrest Road, shot John "Debo" Alston , 35, of 133 Monterey Place in the stomach on May 23 after arriving at 119 S. Main St. with three other men to jump Alston. Alston was pronounced dead within two hours. McBride was arrested May 31 in Manhattan by the U.S. Marshals Service, which was working in conjunction with the Norwalk Police Department.

McBride was arraigned in front of Judge Bruce Hudock Tuesday. Supervisory Assistant Public Defender Elizabeth Reid was assigned the case, which was transferred to Stamford Superior Court. McBride's next court date is July 17.

Witnesses said Alston had been hanging out in the yard arrived at 119 South Main Street when four men arrived at about 3 p.m. to jump him, according to the affidavit. Alston had insulted the 49-year-old sister of one of the men (not McBride) in the course of saying he did not want to have sex with her.

Neighbors told the four aggressors that they were disrespecting the homeowner and Canaan Institutional Baptist Church, which is next door, with their loud arguing, according to the affidavit. The men started to leave but then turned around and came back and attacked Alston. McBride pulled a silver handgun out of his waistband and fired one shot at Alston, who doubled over, ran down the driveway and collapsed. McBride ran down South Main Street and up Larsen Street.

McBride and some of those men had been there earlier, according to the affidavit. They had been part of a group of at least four men and had argued with Alston at about 11 a.m. The group left after being told by a neighbor that they were being disrespectful.

The anger stemmed from Alston's refusal to be nicer to the sister of one of the men, police say. The woman had complained to her 39-year-old brother about Alston's disrespect, and he had gone to talk to Alston, who was belligerent and threatened to get someone to beat the brother.

McBride is a member of the brother's extended family. He was identified by numerous witnesses through photographs, police say.

McBride has a criminal record but no convictions since 1989, according to statements made in court. He was convicted in New York of parole violations, criminal possession of a firearm and possession of controlled substances. He has not criminal record in Connecticut, where he has lived for eight years.

His next court date will be July 17.

Updated, 2:50 p.m. Original version below.

NORWALK, Conn. – A Norwalk man suspected in a May shooting death in South Norwalk is now being held on $1 million bond.

Police say Pernell McBride, 49, of 93 Suncrest Road, is suspected for shooting John "Debo" Alston, 35, in the stomach on May 23 during an argument. Alston had insulted a woman while rejecting a sexual advance, according to the affidavit on file at Norwalk Superior Court.

McBride has a criminal record but no convictions since 1989, according to statements made in court. He was convicted in New York of parole violations, criminal possession of a firearm and possession of controlled substances. He has not criminal record in Connecticut, where he has lived for eight years.

The case has been transferred to Stamford Superior Court. McBride's next court date will be July 17.

This story will be updated.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.