ROWAYTON, Conn. – A diesel generator in the detached garage of a home on Little Brook Road in Rowayton caught fire Friday morning, igniting a blaze that consumed the contents of both bays.
Several Rowayton Volunteer Firefighters responded to the home of John and Maxine McAvity to extinguish the 10:45 a.m. fire, and one firefighter was treated at the scene by EMS personnel for minor smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
Maxine McAvity was in her home at the time trying to determine why there was no heat in the house despite knowing that the generator was supposed to be running.
The McAvitys' neighborhood, and virtually all of Rowayton, has been without power since Hurricane Sandy hit Monday.
“Suddenly, the lights went out, too, and we looked outside and saw smoke coming from the garage,” she said.
A furnace maintenance worker who was at her home to check on the heat situation tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher, but it was already too involved.
- 1 Norwalk School Superintendent Plans To Leave For New London Job
- 2 Norwalk Police Assist With Prostitution Arrests At Wilton Spa
- 3 Norwalk School Superintendent Sets Jan. 31 As Last Day On The Job
- 4 Norwalk Firefighters Quickly Extinguish Burning Home; 11 People Displaced
- 5 Norwalk High Band Marches To Title In National Contest