NORWALK, Conn. -- A portable propane heater tipped over as a boat was removed from the water at the public boat launch in East Norwalk on Friday afternoon, setting the vessel on fire, the Norwalk Fire Department reported.
The Norwalk Fire Department responded to the fully involved fire at 12:30 p.m. The boat, a 22-foot Center Console Angler, had just been pulled from the water on its trailer when the fire started, said Deputy Fire Chief Edward Prescott.
The boat's owner told firefighters that he mistakenly left a portable propane heater on, and it tipped over as the boat was taken out of the water, Prescott said.
Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames and had an extra engine run a water supply line from a hydrant across Seaview Avenue to the fire, Prescott said. Traffic on Seaview Avenue was diverted around the supply line by Norwalk Police for 20 minutes while the fire was put out, he said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.