Propane Heater Sets Boat On Fire At East Norwalk Boat Launch

  • Comment
A boat caught fire Friday as it was pulled from the water on its trailer at the public boat launch in East Norwalk.
A boat caught fire Friday as it was pulled from the water on its trailer at the public boat launch in East Norwalk. Photo Credit: Norwalk Fire Department
Norwalk firefighters knock down the fire on board the boat on Friday afternoon at the boat launch.
Norwalk firefighters knock down the fire on board the boat on Friday afternoon at the boat launch. Photo Credit: Norwalk Fire Department

NORWALK, Conn. -- A portable propane heater tipped over as a boat was removed from the water at the public boat launch in East Norwalk on Friday afternoon, setting the vessel on fire, the Norwalk Fire Department reported. 

The Norwalk Fire Department responded to the fully involved fire at 12:30 p.m. The boat, a 22-foot Center Console Angler, had just been pulled from the water on its trailer when the fire started, said Deputy Fire Chief Edward Prescott.

The boat's owner told firefighters that he mistakenly left a portable propane heater on, and it tipped over as the boat was taken out of the water, Prescott said.

Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames and had an extra engine run a water supply line from a hydrant across Seaview Avenue to the fire, Prescott said. Traffic on Seaview Avenue was diverted around the supply line by Norwalk Police for 20 minutes while the fire was put out, he said. 

  • Comment

Comments