NORWALK, Conn. -- A registered sex offender who was charged last year with severely abusing a 2-year-old girl after luring her family from California is facing a new sex abuse charge, police said.
Pedro Salinas, 32, of 2 Lincoln Ave., was charged with fourth-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a child Tuesday during a court appearance on other charges. He is currently jailed on the other charges. His bond on Tuesday's charge was set at $10,000.
Norwalk police Lt. Terry Blake said the investigation on the most recent charges began when the Department of Children and Families notified police of the complaint. He said the complaint stems from several years ago but didn't release more information other than to say the complainant was a juvenile.
Last summer, Salinas was charged with first-degree assault, and two counts each of cruelty to persons and risk of injury to minors.
Police said a 2-year-old girl suffered numerous injuries including losing sight in one eye after she was abused on multiple occasions. She was also starved, police said.
Police said the girl's mother met Salinas online and he convinced her to move to Connecticut from California with her daughter and an older boy.
Police arrested the mother, Samantha George, 24, in August and charged her with risk of injury to a child. She had initially said her daughter had fallen.
Salinas was convicted of second-degree sexual assault in October 2005 and is on the state's sex offender registry list.