NORWALK, Conn. -- The Norwalk Police Department will step up seat belt enforcement beginning Monday, May 19, as part of the national Click It or Ticket campaign.
Norwalk's enforcement efforts will focus on Route 1, Main Avenue and Route 136.
The increased enforcement will take place as motorists take to the roads for Memorial Day weekend.
According to new data released from the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, fatalities are up nationwide for the first time in five years. In 2012, 10,335 people who were killed in motor vehicle crashes were not wearing seat belts.
- 1 Norwalk's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 2 Police: Norwalk Man Suffers Near-Fatal Stab Wounds In Greenwich
- 3 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 4 NASA Rocket Launch May Be Visible In Norwalk
- 5 Police Issue Alert For Missing Connecticut Teens