NORWALK, Conn. – Gun owners who want to give up their weapons in return for a cash payment can do so at a Norwalk Police Department buyback program Feb. 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the department announced Tuesday.
The program, funded by an anonymous donation of $5,026, will be held in the Community Room of police headquarters at One Monroe Street. All working firearms from residents and non-residents will be accepted.
The guns will be turned over to the state and destroyed.
“We are grateful for the generosity of the Norwalk resident whose donation of $5,026 has made this program possible,” Norwalk Police Chief Thomas Kulhawik said in a statement.
Visa gift cards will be given to those who bring in guns in the following amounts:
• $50 for rifles and shotguns;
• $75 for handguns;
• $100 for assault weapons (described as “any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the firearms listed or which meet the requirements as listed in Connecticut General Statutes 53-202a”).
All guns must be unloaded and bagged or boxed. They should be in working condition; guns that are considered junk will be accepted but will not be eligible for reimbursement.
Additionally, the guns should be transported to police headquarters in the trunk of a car, and ammunition should be brought in a separate bag or box.
Only individuals are eligible for the program, not businesses, according to the department. People bringing guns are asked to park in the department’s visitors parking lot and use the side entrance to the Community Room on South Main Street.
Residents who want to make a donation to the buyback program should send checks to the department made payable to The Norwalk Police Department. Write “Gun Buy Back” in the memo field.
- 1 Norwalk Cop Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car On Tracks
- 2 Bishop Cites Slain Sisters' Goodness At Funeral Mass In Harrison
- 3 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation
- 4 Police: Woman Robs Darien Bank At Gunpoint
- 5 Chance Of Snow Returns To Norwalk Overnight