NORWALK, Conn. -- The Norwalk Police Department will be conducting a motor vehicle checkpoint Saturday, March 15 assisted by officers from the New Canaan Police Department for St. Patrick's Day weekend.
Officers will be focusing on vehicles driven by people who are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Additional officers will also be on duty Monday, March 17.
The most recent reporting period showed that 67 percent of drunken-driving crashes occur during the weekend days. In Connecticut the percentage of alcohol-related fatalities of 43 percent was higher than the national average of 36 percent.
Norwalk Police officials are reminding residents to drink responsibly this weekend and to designate a driver or call a cab if alcohol is consumed.
- 1 Norwalk's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 2 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 3 Police Issue Alert For Missing Connecticut Teens
- 4 Another Frigid Winter Unlikely In Norwalk, NOAA Predicts
- 5 Superstorm Sandy Was Not The 'Big One,' So Norwalk Must Prepare