NORWALK, Conn. – A Norwalk police officer was involved in a two-car accident Wednesday when the cruiser he was driving was struck by a car driven by a 23-year-old New Canaan man, police said.
No injuries were reported in the 7:40 p.m. accident on Main Street near New Canaan Avenue, but the police cruiser sustained front-end and side damage, police said.
According to Sgt. David O’Connor, William Gilroy of Lakeview Avenue was driving north on Main Street when he tried to turn left into 195 Main Street and struck the cruiser driven by Officer Richard Montanez, who was traveling south. Gilroy claimed he did not see Montanez, O’Connor said.
Gilroy was given citations for operating a vehicle without insurance and failure to grant right of way, and is scheduled to appear in Norwalk Superior Court on Feb. 21.
- 1 Norwalk's Setti Christmas Village Wrapping Up After 26 Years
- 2 Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk Area Ranked Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Norwalk
- 4 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Cut From McDonald's Menu In Norwalk
- 5 Four Men Breaking Into Car Charged With Trespassing In Norwalk, Police Say