Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Eye Of The Storm: Heavy Snowfall Before Storm Winds Down Early Sunday
police & fire

Norwalk Man Charged With Throwing Boiling Water On Police Sergeant

A Norwalk man was charged with throwing a pot of boiling water at Sgt. James Belmont during an incident on Flax Hill Road Monday.
A Norwalk man was charged with throwing a pot of boiling water at Sgt. James Belmont during an incident on Flax Hill Road Monday. Photo Credit: Casey Donahue

NORWALK, Conn. -- A Norwalk man was arrested and charged with throwing boiling water on a police sergeant Monday morning after officers responded to a report of a man on a roof, according to police.

Andrew McClure, 36, was charged with second-degree assault and assault on a peace officer. He was held on $75,000 bond and will appear in court on Oct. 30.

Police received a call from a mental health agency at 9:30 a.m. Monday that McClure was on the roof of his Flax Hill Road home and was acting erratically. Officers responded and found that McClure had retreated into his apartment. Officers went to the door and heard McClure rambling about Adolf Hitler and shouting obscenities at police from inside the apartment, according to police reports.

McClure's father arrived and told officers that his son was bipolar and off his medication, according to police reports. He told police that his son was very strong, and that it took several officers to restrain him during a prior incident in Fairfield.

Officers overheard McClure inside his apartment saying he would jump out of a window, and his father unlocked the apartment door, police said. McClure still had a chain on the door, and shut the door and locked it again, according to police reports.

Officers forced the door open, and Sgt. James Belmont entered the apartment first. As he walked in, McClure ran to the kitchen, grabbed a pot of boiling water and threw it at Belmont, burning his neck, police said.

Officers pepper-sprayed and Tasered him before placing him in handcuffs, police said. McClure refused to stand up, and had to be carried out of the apartment, police said. He was taken to Norwalk Hospital for treatment before being released to police custody.

Belmont suffered burns to his neck and was treated at Norwalk Hospital. He was released and is now recovering, police said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.