Norwalk Daily Voice

Follow Like

Norwalk Man Charged With Firing Gun During Domestic Dispute

Carlos Perez, 54, of Norwalk was charged with reckless endangerment, risk of injury to a minor and unlawful discharge of a firearm Monday.
Carlos Perez, 54, of Norwalk was charged with reckless endangerment, risk of injury to a minor and unlawful discharge of a firearm Monday. Photo Credit: Norwalk Police

NORWALK, Conn. – A Norwalk man was accused of firing a handgun at the ground during a domestic dispute Monday evening, according to police reports.

Police were called to Avenue C near Crown Avenue on reports of shots fired at about 9 p.m. Monday. Carlos Perez, 54, of Avenue C was found outside with a Walther PPK pistol, according to police reports.

Perez told police that his son is involved in an ongoing custody dispute with the mother of his child, police said. The woman had been at their home that evening to visit her daughter and took the child and drove away, Perez told police. He said he fired the handgun into the ground in an attempt to scare the woman into stopping her car, according to police reports.

The mother and the child were both located safely, police said. The child did not appear injured or in danger, and was left with the mother for the night, according to police reports.

Perez was arrested at the scene and charged with reckless endangerment, risk of injury to a minor and unlawful discharge of a firearm. He was released after posting $5,000 bond and was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

Perez had legal permits for three handguns, police said. Police seized he handguns, as well as a .22-caliber rifle, a set of brass knuckles, a machete and a tomahawk-style hatchet for safekeeping while the court case is pending, according to the police report.