NORWALK, Conn. – This holiday season, the Norwalk Fire Department is recommending that you give the gift that everybody wants: safety. In the wake of storms such as Sandy and Irene, the Department assembled a list of gifts that increase emergency preparedness.
“Disasters can happen anytime, anywhere and the holiday season provides a great opportunity to ensure that you and your loved ones are taking simple steps to be prepared,” said Norwalk Fire Chief Denis McCarthy.
As families and friends gather for the holidays, they should take a few minutes to discuss what they would do in case of an emergency. This includes developing a family communication plan and identifying how you will get in touch with loved ones and where to meet in case you are separated during an emergency.
Gifts can be opportunities to stock up disaster supply kits and to help people stay informed about emergencies in their area. Some gifts that the Norwalk Fire Department recommend include:
- Disaster kits for homes, offices and vehicles that include first aid kits, food, water, prescription medication for 72 hours and items such as extra clothing, blankets and flashlights,
- NOAA weather radios with extra batteries. The Fire Department has two models of multipurpose radios with flashlight and cell phone chargers. Call 203-854-0238 or email email@example.com to learn more.
- Enrollment in a CPR or first aid class,
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors,
- Foldable ladders to help with second-story escape in the event of a fire,
- Fire extinguishers,
- Car kits that include emergency flares, shovels, ice scrapers, flashlights and fluorescent distress flags,
The department has also assembled a list of holiday safety tips to ensure that people can avoid risks when decorating, cooking and setting up their Christmas trees.
“The community is the most important member of our nation’s emergency response team and the more residents are prepared, the more successful this team will be,” McCarthy said.
- 1 Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk Area Ranked Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 2 Suspect In Norwalk Stabbing Death Says Cab Driver Wanted Sex
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Norwalk
- 4 2 Norwalk Cheer Teams Defend Titles At National Competition
- 5 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Cut From McDonald's Menu In Norwalk