Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Norwalk Boxing Champ Tasered, Arrested At Disturbance

NORWALK, Conn. – Boxing champion and former Norwalk councilman Travis Simms was Tasered and arrested following a fight Sunday night, police said. Simms was one of four people charged in the incident.

According to police, it started when a family gathered at an apartment on Madison Avenue to grieve the death of their mother. Family member Andre Stewart, 48, was invited, but his girlfriend, Sephylia Paulk, 47, was told to wait outside, police said. When she entered the apartment a fight ensued, according to police reports.

When police arrived, they said about 20 people were fighting in the building's courtyard. Police said the crowd was told to disperse and that most complied, but Paulk allegedly continued to incite people to fight. Police took her into custody, but said she tried to slip away and involve herself in another fight that was breaking out between Stewart and a family member.

The family member told police Stewart had struck her several times in the head and stomach. Police reported that she had a bump on her forehead and was taken to Norwalk Hospital. According to police, Stewart was upset over the family’s disapproval of Paulk.

While police were placing Stewart into custody, two cars pulled up and several people got out and started yelling to Paulk. Police told them to leave, but they said several people began yelling and cursing at officers. According to police, Simms was one of the people in the car and led a group across the street, where they continued yelling at police.

According to police reports, Simms yelled at police that he was a boxing champion and a Norwalk councilman. An officer pulled out a Taser and ordered him to the ground, at which point Simms’s wife, Sandra Stokes, allegedly got between them to prevent the officer from getting a clean shot. Police said she slapped the officer’s hand away and was pointing in his face before being handcuffed.

Police said Simms took an aggressive stance and refused to put his hands behind his head. According to police reports, he was placed on the ground, where he struggled and thrashed his shoulders. He was then Tasered and taken to Norwalk Hospital to have the prongs removed.

Simms, Stokes and Paulk were all charged with second-degree breach of peace and interfering with an officer, both misdemeanors. Stewart was charged with third-degree assault and second-degree threatening, both misdemeanors.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.