NORWALK, Conn. ‒ A man was shot in the leg outside a grocery store on Woodward Avenue in Norwalk Wednesday night, police said. Another man is being held in connection with the shooting.
Shakiem Powell, 18, of Norwalk was charged with carrying a gun without a permit and interfering with an officer. He is being held on a $50,000 bond. Police say Powell is still being questioned about the incident, and that more charges likely will be filed.
Around 9:15 p.m. a 19-year-old man was leaving the C&S Grocery Store on Woodward Avenue when he was shot. Police units were in the area and arrived to tend to his wound before EMTs showed up and took him to the hospital.
Officers on patrol spotted Powell running down Meadow Street from the intersection of Meadow and Woodward, according to police reports. Officers chased Powell up toward Carlton Court. While Powell was running he dropped a black semi-automatic handgun, which was later recovered, according to police reports. The officers tried to grab Powell, but were unsuccessful, and eventually Tasered him and took him into custody.
- 1 Norwalk Police Assist With Prostitution Arrests At Wilton Spa
- 2 Rain, Snow Threaten Norwalk On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 3 Norwalk Could See 4 To 8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 4 Malloy: Avoid Travel Wednesday Due To Storm
- 5 Woman’s Death After Being Struck By Metro-North Tops Norwalk Week’s News