Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Improperly Stored Fireplace Ashes Lead To Norwalk House Fire

Norwalk firefighters responded to a fire inside a Red Oak Lane house Wednesday. Photo Credit: Norwalk Fire Department
Fireplace ashes caused the fire that damaged a kitchen in the home. Photo Credit: Norwalk Fire Department

NORWALK, Conn. – Fireplace ashes left in a paper bag led to a small fire inside a Norwalk home Wednesday afternoon, according to Norwalk Fire Department reports.

Norwalk firefighters were called to the scene of a fire on Red Oak Lane about 1 p.m. Fire crews at the scene saw smoke coming from the chimney of a two-story home, which led to a small fire on the floor of the home’s kitchen, Deputy Fire Chief Gino Gatto said in a press release.

Firefighters were able to put out the flames, but the fire damaged approximately 100 square feet of the room’s hardwood floors. The fire also damaged several wood joists underneath the floor, Gatto said.

No injuries were reported in the incident. The Red Cross relocated the family, who were temporarily displaced while the electricity and heat were off after the fire.

The homeowner told firefighters that he had placed fireplace ashes from the night before into a paper bag Wednesday morning, and the bag was in the kitchen, according to the press release.

Norwalk Fire officials remind residents to only use sealed, nonflammable containers to store fireplace ashes.

In 2011, a Christmas Day fire that killed three young girls and their grandparents in Stamford was believed to have been sparked by smoldering embers discarded in a paper bag.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.