Improperly Stored Fireplace Ashes Lead To Norwalk House Fire

  • Comments (6)
Norwalk firefighters responded to a fire inside a Red Oak Lane house Wednesday. Photo Credit: Norwalk Fire Department
Fireplace ashes caused the fire that damaged a kitchen in the home. Photo Credit: Norwalk Fire Department

NORWALK, Conn. – Fireplace ashes left in a paper bag led to a small fire inside a Norwalk home Wednesday afternoon, according to Norwalk Fire Department reports.

Norwalk firefighters were called to the scene of a fire on Red Oak Lane about 1 p.m. Fire crews at the scene saw smoke coming from the chimney of a two-story home, which led to a small fire on the floor of the home’s kitchen, Deputy Fire Chief Gino Gatto said in a press release.

Firefighters were able to put out the flames, but the fire damaged approximately 100 square feet of the room’s hardwood floors. The fire also damaged several wood joists underneath the floor, Gatto said.

No injuries were reported in the incident. The Red Cross relocated the family, who were temporarily displaced while the electricity and heat were off after the fire.

The homeowner told firefighters that he had placed fireplace ashes from the night before into a paper bag Wednesday morning, and the bag was in the kitchen, according to the press release.

Norwalk Fire officials remind residents to only use sealed, nonflammable containers to store fireplace ashes.

In 2011, a Christmas Day fire that killed three young girls and their grandparents in Stamford was believed to have been sparked by smoldering embers discarded in a paper bag.

  • 6
    Comments

Comments (6)

sononeknows:

Looks like Chipper could of used a bucket as well Broad River,If Bob Duff wanted to do some good he would remind everyone a call to 203 854 0244 may get a free fire alarm detector from Norwalk instead of running an pre election blitz by using the fire dept as an example of good management.

Retirement has been pretty calm and relaxing for future Hall of Famer Chipper Jones. That was, until Wednesday, when the former Atlanta Braves great attempted to do a few simple chores at his residence in Roswell, GA and ended up starting a forest fire.

Tried to do my daily chores and cleaned out the fireplace. Went and dumped the ashes. Alls good right? Nope. Set the woods on fire! Ugh

— Chipper Jones

Broad River:

This could have been Déjà vu all over again. Seeing this was done the next morning, he didn't seem to mind having the flu damper open all night. Why not just leave them in the fireplace? I have an old can that popcorn came in. Maybe it's about 3 gallons in size and has a metal lid. I use a fireplace shovel and it's usually done the next day or day after that. Carried outside, well away from the house and trees or shrubs and placed on the asphalt driveway. I only empty that when I need the can again and that can be weeks. Everybody, If you use your fireplace on a near daily basis, go to a fireplace store and buy yourself an ash butler. They usually have a bail type handle. Take it outside, well away from any structures. Don't store ashes in any building..

livingisajourney:

Whyyyyyy would anyone put burning ashes in a paper bag?! I can't.

Broad River:

Defies reasoning.

sononeknows:

Glad the smoke alarms worked,no one had to remind of us those. I would also suggest after you use the container to move them outside away from the house.Shame the city couldn't charge them for the call maybe that would send a message anyone would understand.

Broad River:

You're so right! Everyone reading this article, get up and test your smoke alarms right now. If you don't have at least two, put one on your grocery list and skip that $10 steak this week, Think of it as a Free Smoke Detector. Remember once you buy it, you have to put it up and test it!

In Other News

Greenwich Psychologist Helps Patients Rethink Weight Loss

Neighbors

Norwalk Aquarium Makes Jellyfish Exhibit Permanent

Neighbors

Norwalk Marathon Maniac Has Unfinished Business In Boston