NORWALK, Conn. – A Norwalk man was charged with entering a local business overnight to steal small amounts of cash last month, according to police reports.
The owner of a Monroe Street restaurant told police that $40 had been taken from the business’s cash register overnight on two consecutive nights in late January. The owner had left a total of $75 each night in the register but noticed only $35 was there each morning, police said. No sign of forced entry was found, police said.
The business turned over video surveillance footage, which showed a black male entering the back door of the restaurant each night. Investigators identified the man as Mustafa Muhammad, 43, of Monroe Street, police said. Muhammad had been a handyman working for the building’s owner, who had given Muhammad a key for emergencies, according to police reports.
Muhammad was arrested on a warrant Wednesday and charged with two counts each of third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny. He was released on $5,000 bond, and is due in court on Feb. 28.
- 1 CDC Confirms First Case Of EV-D68 In Connecticut Child
- 2 Newest Section Of Norwalk River Valley Trail A Hit For Runners, Bikers
- 3 Feds Award $161 Million Grant To Replace Aging Train Bridge In Norwalk
- 4 Norwalk’s Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Hosts Flea Market
- 5 Hospitals In Norwalk, Danbury Testing Suspected Cases Of Enterovirus