NORWALK, Conn. — The Norwalk Fire Marshal has determined that a giant fire at a Richards Avenue condo complex on Monday night was caused by discarded smoking materials, according to the Hour.
Fire Marshal Broderick Sawyer told the Hour that the fire, which displaced 54 people, was ruled to be accidental and caused by smoking materials being discarded carelessly.
The fire broke out at around 4:30 p.m. at the StoneWood Condominium at 100 Richards Ave. Firefighters from Norwalk, Rowayton, Darien and Stamford battled the blaze for over two hours, and flames could be seen shooting out through the roof, with heavy smoke visible for blocks.
Nobody was injured in the two-alarm fire, but the building was deemed uninhabitable. Some pets were reported missing.
Norwalk fire officials and the Red Cross are working to provide assistance to the people who were displaced by the fire. Donations of gift cards and checks can be directed to the Norwalk Fire Victims Fund, c/o Michele DeLuca, 121 Connecticut Ave., Norwalk, CT 06854. Questions: email email@example.com.
Norwalk Deputy Director of Emergency Management Michele DeLuca said that officials are working with the state to access the Small Business Administration disaster programs as another resource to help residents. A recovery center will be set up to assist residents with information and referrals as they recover from the fire.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.