NORWALK, Conn. – A 27-year-old registered sex offender allegedly did not properly notify authorities of his move from Bridgeport to Norwalk late last year, and he was arrested by Norwalk police Saturday on a felony charge in connection with the violation.
Howard Johnson, who previously had a Capital Street address in Bridgeport, is believed to have moved to Norwalk late last fall to live with his new wife and her 5-year-old son and one-year-old daughter on San Vincenzo Place, police said.
The department was notified of Johnson’s whereabouts by Parents for Megan’s Law and Crime Center, which tracks registered sex offenders, but Johnson allegedly had not reported the move to state authorities.
Police said that on at least two occasions, Johnson gave the Norwalk address as his home, once in mid-December when he called the police complaining of chest pains at the San Vincenzo Place home, and once during a traffic stop.
Johnson was charged with violating Connecticut Statute 54-251, “Registration of person who has committed a criminal offense against a victim who is a minor or a nonviolent sexual offense.” The reason he was placed on the offenders' list was not disclosed.
Johnson was released after posting a $5,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in Norwalk Superior Court on March 22.