WESTPORT, Conn. -- A 20-year-old Carleton College student from Westport was one of three students killed in a car crash on an icy road near the campus in Northfield, Minn., on Friday afternoon, according to a press release from the college.
The accident occurred in Dakota County, less than three miles from the Carleton campus.
Michael Goodgame, Class of 2015, was a political science major, the college said in a statement.
The other two students who died as a result of their injuries sustained in the accident were:
- James Adams, Class of 2015, a chemistry major from St. Paul, Minn.; and
- Paxton Harvieux, Class of 2015, a computer science major from Stillwater, Minn.
Two other students were injured, the statement said. Both are hospitalized in stable condition:
- Conor Eckert, Class of 2017, undeclared major from Seattle; and
- William Sparks, Class of 2015, an economics major form Evanston, Ill.
“We offer our most heartfelt thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of James, Michael and Paxton, and we hope and pray for the full recovery of Will and Conor,” Carleton President Steven G. Poskanzer said in a statement sent to the campus community.
“The collective Carleton soul aches for the loss of these three young men. Right now, we need to focus all our love and compassion on supporting the families and friends of all these young men, along with everyone in our community who cares for them.”
According to the Minnesota State Patrol, the accident occurred around 3 p.m. at the intersection on Minnesota Highway 3 and County Road 47, also known as Northfield Blvd., in icy conditions.
A Minnesota state patrol report said the five students were in a Toyota 4Runner that spun out on Highway 3 and was broadsided by an oncoming semitrailer truck, according to the Star Tribune of Minneapolis. The truck driver was not injured, the Star Tribune said.
The three students who were killed were members of the school’s Ultimate Frisbee team that finished third in the country in Division 1 competition last year, Eric Sieger, media relations director for Carleton College, told the Star Tribune.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 3 Charged In Connection With Sale Of Cocaine At Norwalk Nightclub
- 3 Norwalk's Concussion Guidelines Dedicated To Jonathan Brown
- 4 Man Charged With Possession Of Marijuana, Heroin, Acid In Norwalk
- 5 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital