NORWALK, Conn. – William "Bill" T. Gleason of Norwalk died July 15 at Norwalk Hospital. He was 99.
Gleason was born Jan. 11, 1913 in Bridgeport to John and Mary Pohorness Gleason. A lifelong Norwalk resident, he served in the U.S. Army in the European Theater during World War II.
He retired from his career in the signs and marketing division of the state of Connecticut. An avid stamp collector, Gleason was a member of the Norwalk Stamp Club. His family described him as a quiet man who was deeply religious and loved to travel.
Gleason is survived his wife of 56 years, Betty Jane Newell Gleason; a daughter, Sharon Carl, of Dundee, Ill.; a granddaughter and many nieces and nephews.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Matthew Church in Norwalk. Burial with full military honors will follow at St. Mary Cemetery in Norwalk. There are no visiting hours. Magner Funeral Home in Norwalk is in charge of arrangements.
Memorial donations may be made to St. Matthew Church.
- 1 Woman Struck, Killed By Metro-North Train Near South Norwalk Station
- 2 Norwalk Man Faces Phone Theft Charges at Stew Leonard's
- 3 Norwalk Man Charged In Assault On Store Clerk, Spitting At Police
- 4 Elderly Woman Mauled By Dog Dies At Bridgeport Hospital
- 5 Driver Of Norwalk Transit Bus Ticketed After Crash On MLK Drive