NORWALK, Conn. – William "Bill" T. Gleason of Norwalk died July 15 at Norwalk Hospital. He was 99.
Gleason was born Jan. 11, 1913 in Bridgeport to John and Mary Pohorness Gleason. A lifelong Norwalk resident, he served in the U.S. Army in the European Theater during World War II.
He retired from his career in the signs and marketing division of the state of Connecticut. An avid stamp collector, Gleason was a member of the Norwalk Stamp Club. His family described him as a quiet man who was deeply religious and loved to travel.
Gleason is survived his wife of 56 years, Betty Jane Newell Gleason; a daughter, Sharon Carl, of Dundee, Ill.; a granddaughter and many nieces and nephews.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Matthew Church in Norwalk. Burial with full military honors will follow at St. Mary Cemetery in Norwalk. There are no visiting hours. Magner Funeral Home in Norwalk is in charge of arrangements.
Memorial donations may be made to St. Matthew Church.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 3 Charged In Connection With Sale Of Cocaine At Norwalk Nightclub
- 3 Former Fairfield University Basketball Player ID'd In Fatal Shooting
- 4 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 5 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital