ROWAYTON, Conn. - Mary Elizabeth Long, SFO, (a Secular Franciscan Order member), a long-time resident of Rowayton, died Tuesday, March 25. She was 91.
Long was born Dec. 30, 1922, in New York City, she was the daughter of George and Wanda Long. She worked for the New York Ordnance Department of the War Department during World War II. She received a Commendation of Honor from the War Department. After the war, she joined the firm of Luria Steel and Trading Co. in New York.
After a move to Vergennes, Vt., to assist her father, she returned to New York and was hired by Continental Can Co. and worked in various departments. She retired from Continental Can Co. in 1978 after working there for 25 years.
Long is survived by a spiritual daughter, Louisa Lima Katz (David) of Norwalk; and a grandson. She was predeceased by her parents; and brother, James Long.
Calling hours are Saturday, March 29 from 9 to 10 a.m. at the Edward Lawrence Funeral Home, 2119 Post Road, Darien. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 29 at St. John R.C. Church, 1986 Post Road, Darien. Burial will follow at Spring Grove Cemetery in Darien.
In lieu of flowers, Mary has requested Masses be made at St. John R.C. Church in Darien or the Catholic missions of your choice.
- 1 Norwalk School Superintendent Plans To Leave For New London Job
- 2 Bridgeport National Guard Member Killed By Unsafe Lane Change, Police Say
- 3 Where To Eat Out In And Around Norwalk On Thanksgiving
- 4 Norwalk Firefighters Quickly Extinguish Burning Home; 11 People Displaced
- 5 Norwalk School Superintendent Sets Jan. 31 As Last Day On The Job