ROWAYTON, Conn. - Mary Elizabeth Long, SFO, (a Secular Franciscan Order member), a long-time resident of Rowayton, died Tuesday, March 25. She was 91.
Long was born Dec. 30, 1922, in New York City, she was the daughter of George and Wanda Long. She worked for the New York Ordnance Department of the War Department during World War II. She received a Commendation of Honor from the War Department. After the war, she joined the firm of Luria Steel and Trading Co. in New York.
After a move to Vergennes, Vt., to assist her father, she returned to New York and was hired by Continental Can Co. and worked in various departments. She retired from Continental Can Co. in 1978 after working there for 25 years.
Long is survived by a spiritual daughter, Louisa Lima Katz (David) of Norwalk; and a grandson. She was predeceased by her parents; and brother, James Long.
Calling hours are Saturday, March 29 from 9 to 10 a.m. at the Edward Lawrence Funeral Home, 2119 Post Road, Darien. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 29 at St. John R.C. Church, 1986 Post Road, Darien. Burial will follow at Spring Grove Cemetery in Darien.
In lieu of flowers, Mary has requested Masses be made at St. John R.C. Church in Darien or the Catholic missions of your choice.
- 1 Bishop Cites Slain Sisters' Goodness At Funeral Mass In Harrison
- 2 Norwalk Cop Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car On Tracks
- 3 Norwalk Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 4 New Canaan Cop Dragged During Arrest Narrowly Escapes Serious Injury
- 5 Nordstrom Plans To Open Store In Proposed 95/7 Mall In Norwalk