NORWALK, Conn. - Floyd J.” Smitty” Smith of Norwalk died Monday, Feb. 10. He was 89.
Smith was born in Norwalk; son of Floyd F. and Gretchen Rider Smith. He was a Navy veteran serving in World War II. He owned Smitty’s Shell in Norwalk, which he founded in 1951 until his retirement in 1978.
Smith is survived by his sons, Floyd F. Smith (Suzanne) of Stratford and David R. Smith (Debbie) of Norwalk; eight grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and a sister, Frances Gammer of Calif. He was predeceased by his brothers, David Smith, Richard Smith and Harry Smith; and sister, Mary Lou Briesler.
Calling hours are Wednesday, Feb. 12 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Collins Funeral Home, 92 East Ave., Norwalk. Services will be held at 10:30 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 13, at the funeral home. Burial will follow in Riverside Cemetery, Norwalk.
Instead of flowers, contributions in Smith’s memory may be made to, VITAS Innovative Hospice Care, 99 Hawley Lane, Suite 1204, Stratford, CT 06614.
- 1 Police: Norwalk Man Cuts Up Girlfriend's Shoes, Smears Avocado On TV
- 2 Norwalk Man Charged With Stabbing Granddaughter's Boyfriend
- 3 Norwalk Police: Man Reports Three Others Assaulted Him, Stole His Scooter
- 4 Norwalk Man Arrested Again, Charged With DUI In May Crash
- 5 New Canaan Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 3-Year-Old At Wife's Day Care