NORWALK, Conn. – Elaine Harris Woodward, formerly of Norwalk, died on March 3, in Naples, Fla. She was 91.
Woodward was born in Greenwich to Dora and Edwin Harris. She graduated from Norwalk High School and attended Northwestern University. She entered the U.S. Navy in 1943 as a telegraph operator.
She was a well-known Realtor in Norwalk, where she founded Woodward and McElroy with her friend, Margaret McElroy. Woodward was also a champion golfer. She won the club championship at Shorehaven Golf Club 13 times in six decades, the last coming in 1993 at the age of 71. She was enshrined in the Norwalk Old Timers Athletic Association in 2003. She was also an active bridge player and served the First Congregational Church in Norwalk as a deacon, teacher and choir member.
Elaine is survived by four children; Bill, of Pittsburgh Pa; Janet of Norwalk; Nancy of Norwalk; and Ned of Arlington, Va. She is also survived by her brother, Paul Harris Sr., 10 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her brothers Bud, Bill and Bob, and sisters Dorthy Burr and Janet Emery Lee.
A memorial service was held in Norwalk on Friday, March 14. A celebration will be held in Naples on April 5. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the First Congregational Church on the Green in Norwalk. Online condolences can be made at www.fullernaples.com
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 3 Charged In Connection With Sale Of Cocaine At Norwalk Nightclub
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 5 Man Charged With Possession Of Marijuana, Heroin, Acid In Norwalk