Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Stamford Road Closed, Homes Evacuated For Suspicious Package

Worker Overcome by Gas in Norwalk Home

NORWALK, Conn. – A worker using a generator to power lights in a vacant Norwalk home Wednesday was overcome by carbon monoxide and rescued by the Norwalk Fire Department, Deputy Chief Edward Prescott said.

According to Prescott:

The victim's co-worker had gone on an errand and returned to find the man unconscious in the basement of a single-family home at 253 W. Rocks Road. He called 911 at 10:40 a.m.

The men were painting in the basement. The co-worker told the dispatchers that a generator was in use, and dispatchers notified firefighters and medics of a possible case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters in full protective gear, including breathing apparatus, entered the home with meters to monitor the carbon monoxide levels. The meters immediately went into alarm due to the dangerously high level of carbon monoxide. The victim, who is in his early 50s, was found unconscious on the basement floor. Firefighters carried the man out of the home and began to administer high flow oxygen on the front lawn, while waiting for a mutual aid ambulance. Wilton EMS with a Norwalk Hospital Paramedic arrived and transported the semiconscious man to Norwalk Hospital.

An engine, rescue and truck company remained on the scene for about an hour ventilating the home until the carbon monoxide levels were reduced to zero.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.