Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site

Menu

Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns

news

South Norwalk Fire Displaces Family

NORWALK, Conn. — A first-floor apartment was declared unfit for occupancy Wednesday evening in Norwalk after an unattended pot of food caught fire and ignited the cabinets above the stove, Norwalk Deputy Fire Chief Edward Prescott said. As firefighters battled the blaze in the wall of the Burritt Street apartment, a man slept on a sofa upstairs, unaware that anything was going on.

This is what happened, according to Prescott:

Five people – a mother, father and their three children – were displaced by the fire, which began just after 6 p.m. at 7 Burritt St. Firefighters found heavy smoke throughout the three-story residential home. The fire had gone from the cabinets and into the wall, where it was extinguished.

While firefighters were searching the structure, they discovered an occupant of the second-floor apartment sleeping on a couch. The man, who is in his 30s, awoke startled by the firefighter and was helped out of the residence. Norwalk Hospital paramedics evaluated him at the scene.

The first-floor apartment was posted unfit for occupancy by Fire Inspector Kurt McDonald. The American Red Cross relocated the occupants. The tenants of the second and third floors were able to remain in the building.

Firefighters were on scene for just more than an hour, and the fire inspector left the scene by 8 p.m. after the Red Cross arrived. A total of 20 firefighters responded with two engines, two trucks and a rescue and command car.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.