NORWALK, Conn. – This tax season, Family & Children’s Agency (FCA) will offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program at its 140 Water St. location in Norwalk.
The VITA Program provides free income tax preparation to low- to moderate-income individuals and families earning less than $52,000 per year. FCA is part of a coalition sponsored by the Connecticut Association for Human Services, which coordinates VITA campaigns across Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield counties.
VITA Program services will be offered on Tuesdays between 5 and 9 p.m., beginning Jan. 27 through April 7.
Those participating in the VITA Program should bring the following items to their appointment:
- Valid photo ID
- Social Security cards or official Social Security number verification letters for yourself, spouse and any dependents, or Individual Taxpayer Identification number with letter for you and anyone else to be on your tax return
- All income statements from work or from self-employment, Social Security or pensions, including W-2, 1099-R, 1099-Misc.
- All interest, dividend and capital gain statements from bank(s)
- Education expenses and student loan payments
- Total dollars paid for child and dependent care, in addition to the day care provider’s address and tax ID number
- Copy of checking and savings account numbers, and routing numbers for tax return direct deposit · Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid
- Other deductions, property taxes paid to the town
- Copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
The VITA Program is provided by IRS-trained volunteers who are certified to prepare basic tax returns using TaxWise Online software. VITA sites also connect families to programs and services that can help them to maximize their tax refunds, such as matched savings programs, budget coaching, financial education and benefits screenings.
To schedule a tax appointment with FCA, contact Crystal Charlton at 203-523-5336. No walk-ins will be taken after 8:45 p.m.