Firefighters found smoke on the first floor of apartment 34 and intense heat coming from the basement when they arrived around 10:30 a.m. Firefighters put out a small fire in the stairwell, which was heavily damaged. The rest of the apartment remained habitable.
The fire was accidental, according to Fire Inspector Broderick Sawyer. A woman in her 20s was alerted to the fire by a smoke detector and escaped the apartment before firefighters arrived, Sawyer said.
The Norwalk Housing Authority owns the complex and will help make repairs. No adjoining apartments were damaged.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.