NORWALK, Conn. – Norwalk Building Inspector Bill Ireland, who is inspecting homes in Norwalk to determine their level of safety following Hurricane Sandy, is warning residents not to use appliances that were flooded by the storm.
Ireland released a statement Thursday that using such appliances could prove extremely dangerous.
“Do not use appliances if any part has been underwater,” Ireland said in the statement. “A flood-damaged appliance is extremely dangerous. Attempt to use the appliance can result in fire or explosion.”
While various neighborhoods throughout the city have experienced flooding, the Rowayton area has been particularly hard hit by excessive levels of water. Ireland has been concentrating much of his home inspections on the area.
“A qualified service agency should be contacted to inspect the appliance and to replace all controls, control system parts and electrical parts that have been wet – or the appliance in its entirety if deemed necessary,” Ireland said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.