A home that was burned Thursday has been posted as unfit for occupancy by the Norwalk Fire Marshal's Division. The home at 26 Neptune Ave. had been converted into a rooming house for five tenants. One tenant was relocated by the American Red Cross, and the other four are staying with friends and family.
The fire began just after 1 p.m. A neighbor saw flames and sparks coming from the chimney, reported the fire and alerted the only person at home, who was on the second floor, before the Norwalk Fire Department arrived.
Fire crews were faced with a fire in a second floor bedroom and fire running across the attic, which had been converted into living space. They battled the blaze for 25 minutes before bringing it under control at 1:35 p.m. No injuries were reported. Twenty firefighters responded on two engines, two trucks, a command car and a rescue vehicle.
Fire Inspector Kurt McDonald and newly appointed Inspector Luca Feola were on scene investigating the cause of the fire until 2:30 p.m. The investigation centered on the area where the fire began, near the external chimney for a wood-burning stove that was located in a first floor common room.
Follow The Daily Norwalk on Facebook.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.