FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Fairfield County residents who ride Metro-North's New Haven Line will see a 5 percent increase in fares beginning Wednesday, Jan. 1.
The increased fares will be implemented along the New Haven Line and Shore Line East, affecting all riders who travel between Connecticut and New York and between stations within the state. That includes the Danbury, New Canaan and Waterbury branch lines.
Most Metro-North riders are opposed to the rate increases, especially after the year that included two major derailments, one of which was fatal, and a power outage that left the New Haven Line in the dark for 12 days.
In a voluntary online survey, 88 percent of Daily Voice readers who participated were opposed to any rate hikes. Nine percent felt the rate increases were necessary and three percent didn't have an opinion.
- 1 Norwalk's Setti Christmas Village Wrapping Up After 26 Years
- 2 Suspects In Custody After Shooters Fled From Stamford To Norwalk
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Norwalk
- 4 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Cut From McDonald's Menu In Norwalk
- 5 Four Men Breaking Into Car Charged With Trespassing In Norwalk, Police Say