FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Fairfield County residents who ride Metro-North's New Haven Line will see a 5 percent increase in fares beginning Wednesday, Jan. 1.
The increased fares will be implemented along the New Haven Line and Shore Line East, affecting all riders who travel between Connecticut and New York and between stations within the state. That includes the Danbury, New Canaan and Waterbury branch lines.
Most Metro-North riders are opposed to the rate increases, especially after the year that included two major derailments, one of which was fatal, and a power outage that left the New Haven Line in the dark for 12 days.
In a voluntary online survey, 88 percent of Daily Voice readers who participated were opposed to any rate hikes. Nine percent felt the rate increases were necessary and three percent didn't have an opinion.
- 1 Norwalk Man Charged With Fighting Officer During Drug Arrest
- 2 Death Of Fairfield Man Found On Island Off Westport Ruled Suicide
- 3 Police: Norwalk Man Smashed Hospital Door While Drunk
- 4 Norwalk Man Charged With Stealing Credit Cards, Identities From Cars
- 5 Missing Fairfield Boater Found Dead On Westport Island