FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Fairfield County residents who ride Metro-North's New Haven Line will see a 5 percent increase in fares beginning Wednesday, Jan. 1.
The increased fares will be implemented along the New Haven Line and Shore Line East, affecting all riders who travel between Connecticut and New York and between stations within the state. That includes the Danbury, New Canaan and Waterbury branch lines.
Most Metro-North riders are opposed to the rate increases, especially after the year that included two major derailments, one of which was fatal, and a power outage that left the New Haven Line in the dark for 12 days.
In a voluntary online survey, 88 percent of Daily Voice readers who participated were opposed to any rate hikes. Nine percent felt the rate increases were necessary and three percent didn't have an opinion.
- 1 Norwalk Man Dies After Car Crash In Danbury
- 2 Three Norwalk Teens Busted By Wilton Cops On Drug Charges
- 3 NYC Doctor Is First Person In The Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 4 Driver Charged With Killing Pedestrian In Hit-And-Run Crash In Norwalk
- 5 Fairfield Police Charge Norwalk Man With Trashing His Kids' Home