NORWALK, Conn. -- The annual Norwalk household hazardous waste collection day is set for Saturday, Sept. 7.
The event will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the lower parking lot of Norwalk High School, 55 County St.
Residents are urged to take advantage of this event to safely discard items that cannot be disposed of in normal garbage.
Household hazardous waste includes:
- From the garage: Gasoline, auto care products, oil-based paints or alkyd paints, stains, thinners, spray paints, etc.
- From the garden: Insect killer weed killer, fungicides (rose dust), chemical fertilizers, garden lime, etc.
- From the household: Cleaners, polishes, mercury thermometers, pet care products, pool chemicals, fluorescent bulbs, etc.
Items that will not be accepted include:
- Ammunition / flares or explosives: Contact the Norwalk Police Department at (203) 854-3000 for information on how to properly discard these items
- Asbestos: Disposal of this material is regulated by the Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Cooking oil - take to Norwalk Transfer Station
- Electronics: take items to the Norwalk Transfer Station
- Motor Oil & Antifreeze: take to Norwalk Transfer Station
- Medical and biological waste
- Radioactive material
Those seeking additional information and/or a list of the items that can be disposed of at this event should go to the Norwalk website or call (203) 854-3200.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.