FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Residents of Fairfield County who are looking for free help with their taxes and meet certain criteria can find assistance at a number of site in Norwalk, ,Darien, New Canaan and Westport.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, or VITA, will offer free tax preparation and filing from Feb. 1 to April 18, for residents who make $54,000 or less, have disabilities, the elderly and limited-English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals at the following locations:
- South Norwalk Community Center, 98 S. Main St., Norwalk; no appointment needed. Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Norwalk Community College, 188 Richards Ave., Norwalk; no appointment needed. Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in West Campus Room W138. Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7 to 9 p.m. in East Campus Atrium, Student Success Center Family & Children’s Agency 140 Water St., Norwalk; call for appointment: 203-523-5336.
- New Canaan Public Library, 151 Main St., New Canaan; call for appointment: 203-594-5003. Tuesdays from noon to 4 p.m.; Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In addition, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is available free to taxpayers with low- and moderate-income, with special attention to those 60 and older from Feb. 1 to April 18, at these location
- Westport Town Hall, 110 Myrtle Ave., Westport; call for appointment: 203-341-1050. Mondays from 1:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Westport Senior Center, 21 Imperial Ave., Westport; Call for appointment: 203-341-5099. Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Thursdays from 1 to 7 p.m.
- Darien Library, 1441 Post Road, Darien; appointments are optional: 203-669-5257. Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.